Monday, July 18, 2005

Bombs

So I went to a former student's birthday party this weekend. J is probably my all-time favorite. Totally sweet, extremely smart, artistically talented, a good writer, and a wicked sense of humor developing, too. I had her immediate elder sister for a week as a sub, and she's also fun. And the eldest I never taught but have befriended along with the rest of the family. Anyway, I had a good time and I think everyone else did.

Another former student of mine attended the party, and when I was leaving, she said, "Mr. Rice, watch out on the subway. There's lots of bombs on it now. If you see someone come on with a weird coat or a box just get out."

Thanks, JM. I'll keep that in mind.

5 Comments:

At 12:57 AM, Blogger Jo-Fan said...

Wow. Her comment makes me want to cry. What are we giving our kids to look forward to?

 
At 9:57 AM, Blogger Mr. Rice said...

If it makes you feel any better, she was very cheerful about it and the other (er, rather more astute) kids kind of rolled their eyes.

 
At 11:54 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

In a previous era, children saw people die in front of them as a matter of course. As awful as what happened in London might be, history says children can survive such things just fine.

 
At 2:50 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

hey mr rice, your story actually reads like those that the MTA posts inside the trains, you know, the metropolitan tails about the blind, tourist or anybody that rides our magnificent train system. i loved it, its kind of sarcastic in a way... very sad but true.

brish

 
At 5:28 PM, Blogger Mr. Rice said...

Yeah, those are great.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home