Monday, January 17, 2005

Birfday

So Tuesay's my birthday. I had a little party at my place this weekend and it was a hell-ton of fun. Lisa really out-did herself with the spread: a cheese plate, two varieties of stuffed tomatoes (one with herbed goat cheese and one with bacon, lettuce, and mayo), spicy-meat-a-balls, toasted nuts, garlic toast, whoopie pie (God's dessert), sangria, and chocolates from Leonidas, my favorite chocolatier. Delish.

The crowd was varied and fun. First arrived was Mr. John Bartol, straight in from JFK. John's the first guy I ever met in person from the internet, so it's appropriate. He's the big brother that never wanted me, or something like that. Soon after John arrived, the CBR contingent made it:



(left to right: Lena, Brian Cronin, his girlfriend Jean, and Michael.)

Much comics talk commenced as Lisa and Jinah acted interested. Next up was f-dot and his friend, whose name I think was Yukari. At this point, everyone at the party was someone I had met through the internet, or through someone I met through the internet. Good times, but spooky.

Around then, things started getting more mixed up. At about ten o'clock, the party exploded. It was jam packed and difficult to navigate. Anyone who is anyone was there, from Anxious Alex Cox



To three supermodel assassins from the Invisibles



To at least one guy I've never met before.



As the party went on, it became clearer and clearer, that no matter who my friends are, they are nerds. Everyone talked comics at least once, and knew their shit. My original art was gone through a few times, and I'd often come in and see a bunch of folks reading comics off my rack, girls, guys . . .everyone loves comics.



Though it would be later known as "the one I didn't need," it felt right to down a shot of bourbon with the former Writerboy, Mike.



All in all, I had a great time, and thanks to everyone who came. Special thanks to Brant Englestein, who went out and found my very favorite wine of all time. Yum. I leave you with dignity, as usual.


3 Comments:

At 7:01 PM, Blogger Mark W. Hale said...

Yes, happy birthday to us, Joe.

I didn't do jack. But right now I'm eating my mom's world-famous Texas Chocolate Cake. It's the good stuff.

 
At 12:51 PM, Blogger Lena said...

That was a fun photo-blog. I like.

 
At 1:00 PM, Blogger Mr. Rice said...

Glad to hear it. I had to narrow it down from some forty pictures Jinah took.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home