Monday, December 06, 2004

Damage

Strain in my neck, it's always the same side. Yuengling, baby, ease the pain. Ease it with rock and roll. Finished with most of my Christmas shopping. Marathon session, you know it. Future in-laws, parents, grandmothers, Cousin, friends . . .fiancee only partially done.

All I want for Christmas is to get these fucking flies out of my apartment. Every night from 7 to 15 flies somehow find their way in. I kill them like a goddam Tilex Ninja. I got strategies and shit. But they always come back. Even had two bastards caught in a beer bottle.

Arrested Development is one of the funniest shows I've ever seen. With that and Scrubs, it is a pretty good time for sitcom comedy. Has there ever been two greats on like this? Of course, just before I gave a shit.

So, some points:

DC's Misogyny

So the women of DC haven't had a good year. Raped, murdered, abused . . .there's been a lot of nasty shit going around. It's typical, really: who reads superhero comics? Boys. What gets a boy all riled up? A girl being hurt. Nearly every man has had the anti-fantasy "What I would do to the man who hurt mom/girlfriend/gran/teacher." So you want the boy audience to really hate a bad guy, have him really hurt a female character. Sue Dibny's rape served as a "pump up" to get the Justice League to act out of character. Spoiler's beating and death was a "pump up" to get Batman all sad and shit. (What's with superheroes crying these days? Who thinks that's fun?)

That said, I've seen some shit thrown at Superman/Batman 15 for that. Now, I've hated that book from day one. I've just found it to be really poorly-written and easy, and, with Turner, ugly as dog ass. But the current arc is light and fun alternate-timeline superhero fun. With awful narration. So Evil Superman kicks the shit out of Wonder Woman and some people cry foul again.

I call bullshit. The violence to WW in that scene had nothing to do with her being a woman, and it had nothing to do with motivating her strong male companion. It was a fight scene. It was nasty, but it was a superhero fight like any other. Women in comics are subject to the same rules as males. If they're superheroes, they'll be the subject of violence.

(May I just interject that Chuck D + the Jon Spencer Blues Explosion = hardon?)

There's nothing misogynistic about the WW/Superman fight scene. The stuff I find objectionable is when a woman is subjected to violence or violation not as a part of her own story, but as a plot point in "their man's" story. That, my friends, is the straight up gross nasty.

Zoom!

While shopping tonight I saw a cook book, something about a chef father and his teenage daughter . . .and on the cover, the chefdad was wearing a Reverse Flash symbol T-shirt. HE IS A VILLAIN DO NOT BUY HIS BOOK! HE KILLED BARRY'S WIFE!

Holy crap, it's nine o'clock?

(Blues Explosion + DJ Shadow also = woo.)

Have good nights, folks.

4 Comments:

At 10:03 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hey Wimpy,

Why don't you come back to CBR?

I sent you PMs and everything.

-Brian

 
At 10:20 PM, Blogger Mr. Rice said...

Hey, CBR was supposed to email me if I got a PM!

Dammit, now I have to go read it.

But I don't want to go back to CBR. It's just going to be people being offended by me because they're big babies.

 
At 11:54 AM, Blogger Lena said...

I didn't realize you were permanently staying away from CBR. I hope it's temporary, because I do like reading your threads/posts.

 
At 2:16 PM, Blogger Mr. Rice said...

I don't know about permanent. I just need to be away from that place. And I bet that place needs me to be away, too.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home